If you like chocolate and cinnamon, this recipe is for you. The zucchini is just used for filler – so if you forgot to pick one from the garden and it got too large – this is your chance to use that sucker.
I found this recipe in Gourmet by Ruth Cousineau.
yield: Makes 12 cupcakes
active time: 15 min
total time: 1 1/2 hr (includes cooling)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 pound zucchini, coarsely grated (1 cup)
- 1 (6-ounces) package semisweet chocolate chips
Equipment: a muffin pan with 12 (1/2-cup) cups with paper liners
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
Whisk together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat together sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until thick and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. At low speed, mix in flour mixture until just incorporated. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips. Divide among lined muffin cups and bake until tops spring back when lightly pressed, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn out to cool completely.
For a printer friendly version of this recipe, please click here.